As you may not know, I like to mess with consoles and hardware, I’m a member of a hackerspace. Anyway, I received an original xbox last October. It was a version 1.0, so I therefore removed the clock capacitor. This is the story of what happened and how I did it.
The Introduction to the Xbox
A family member of mine passed away in 2019, thus their partner was left with their stuff, including a second Xbox. They had 1 Xbox in a hobby space of the passed away family member, but 1 level above that was the room I once played with old computers, if you have read my older blog posts you may have heard of this before. Anyway, I was doing some chores for te family member that still owned the Xbox, then they said I could get that Xbox, I also asked them if I could get the games that weren’t really for younger children, whom would visit that family member. I received those too. Sadly Splinter Cell was not included.
The Xbox was just a regular old Xbox, but to be sure, I checked the serial number, by doing this via eg the site informit archived also at archive.org. This way i discovered it was a revision 1 Xbox, and that I had to remove the clock capacitor, which I knew had to be done immediately.
This was the Xbox before modding and removing the capacitor
The removal of the capacitor
Now something had to be done, so I looked for tools to remove the capacitor luckily the deceased family member left also a big set of tools. Thus I knew I could remove it safely using the following tools.
A couple of screwdrivers and I used to remove the screws
The Xbox opened
With the Xbox open, as seen above, I could start to remove the clock capacitor, thus I began to remove the upper few parts of the Xbox, which wasn’t easy. Anyway I did succeed however, this was the inside beforehand.
The insides of the Xbox before removing it
After I had it opened more it, I found the capacitor and removed it.
after removing the capacitor
Afterwards I reassembled the Xbox and had to test whether or not it could be turned on.
Had to set the clock, which obviously would not be saved anymore
Then I had to mod it still obviously, I was at home, I didn’t own Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell (the game used to mod the Xbox), nor did I own Xbox USB cables, so I ordered those and waited a couple of days.
After it arrived, I had some struggles with it, as my USB drive was too new, luckily there were some older ones around. I used the following guide: Rocky5 Xbox softmod guide
This looked as follows (my room was a mess on that day):
Xbox USB tool
Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell
The saves for modding
During the softmod process
After I was done I was happy, but I haven’t played on it in quite a while. Still, I enjoy modding and learning how to do those things. Until the next post.